What are the Signs & Symptoms?
People suffering from diverticulosis do not have any serious symptoms, but when infection or inflammation occurs, the condition is known as diverticulitis and symptoms can be sudden in onset.
The common symptoms include:
- Abdominal pain and tenderness in the left lower abdomen
- Pain worsens while eating and relieves after flatulence or passing stools
- Alternating episodes of constipation and diarrhoea
- Bleeding from the rectum
- Abdominal bloating
- Alternating diarrhoea with constipation
- Nausea and vomiting
- Fever and chills
Diverticular diseases can lead to other complications:
- Peritonitis: rupture of diverticula andleakage of intestinal contents into abdominal cavity
- Blockage in colon or small intestine due to scarring
- Abscess formed by collection of pus
- Fistula: abnormal passage between intestine and abdominal wall or intestine and bladder or vagina